Sunday, June 24, 2012

Let's get this party started!

At my CD12 ultrasound I asked Dr P if I should be on Metformin to help treat the PCOS and he said we'd discuss it if this cycle was a bust. Previously my glucose levels have been really good and I don't seem to have insulin resistance so I hadn't been on it. I have been doing a lot of (googling) research and keep reading that even if you don't have IR, Metformin can still help lots. One site said that it caused 45% of women with PCOS to start cycling regularly without any other meds! Also, it's really supposed to help clomid do it's job. All of this, plus a phone call now has me a prescription!

Dr P wrote for me to start with 1000mg but from what I hear, it can reek havoc on your gut (plus I'm on an antibiotic for a sinus infection) so I'm starting myself with just 1 500mg pill a day. So far, so good today. I'll begin my provera on Wednesday so CD1 should be the 2nd or 3rd week in July. By that time I'll be on 1000mg of Metformin so I'm hoping that the Met combine with 100mg of Clomid will do the trick and get us our spring baby.

4 comments:

  1. I've been hearing/reading a lot on this stuff but every time I go to the Dr I forget to ask about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Samantha. I've been a reader TTC for awhile now. I've been on 500 mg/day of Metformin for several years for slight IR due to PCOS. While it can wreck your system while you get used to it, the best thing my doctor ever did was put me on the extended release formula. It's a slightly bigger pill size-wise, but definitely worth it because the side effects aren't nearly as rough. If you have trouble with them, I would recommend that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I've heard good things about Metformin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mrs. Walker, ask for the extended release! I've never had any problems with it where other ladies say they are literally running to the toilet! Also, I researched the Metformin and clomid link a lot and my first doctor had me on clomid and 1000mg of Metformin. When I switched doctors, my new doctor said 1000mg is going to do anything, 1500mg is a minimum to really have an affect on your cycle. She had just came back from an infertility conference that they addressed this at. Of course, my hope is that the 1000mg does the trick for you and this is the cycle you conceive, but if not, maybe ask for a higher dosage of Met. My blood tests also come back that I'm not IR but I still take metformin.

    ReplyDelete