Monday, January 2, 2012

Another ear infection

Truitt's nose has been runny since his front teeth got close to coming through the gums. This weekend he started pulling on his ears although he's done that when his teeth have come in before. Saturday night he was pretty restless and nursing a lot more than normal and then last night was awful. He didn't want to fall asleep so we got out of bed but then he just cried so we came back to bed and he finally fell asleep. Around 12 I needed to pee but I couldn't get him to unlatch without waking so finally I just woke E up and told him I had to get up. Truitt screamed the entire 1-2 minutes I was out of bed and quickly fell back asleep. Around 4 the same thing happened only he would not fall back asleep. I tried shushing, nursing, and even sat up and was rocking him but nothing helped. I got up and spent the next 2 HOURS trying to soothe him. He didn't want to play, he didn't want to nurse, he didn't want anything. I gave him some ibuprofen and then a little later gave him two teething tablets and finally at 6 we both passed out. I set my alarm for 7:30 to call the pediatrician and unfortunately Dr L was still out of the office so we made an appt w the Dr we saw over thanksgiving. Truitt is up to 21lb 4.5oz with clothes and shoes on! She checked his ears and while his right only had clear fluid on it the left had a nasty infection and was red and full of pus. She also said around his molars is really swollen so they may be coming in soon. We were supposed to go to his 12month well visit on Thursday w Dr L but she said to push it back a week so Dr L can recheck his ears. Dr L is completely booked for well visits so now we won't be going in until the 19th! I need to go back and check but I think this is his 2nd ear infection on the left and he's had 3 on the right (one double and then 2 on just the right). Hopefully we aren't getting close to needing tubes although E and his brother both had to have them as toddlers...

2 comments:

  1. Poor Truitt! I feel so lucky that Noah has never had an ear infection. Hopefully the two of you will get more rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo for the ear infections!! Ellie has had 5...all on her right, although one was a double. Her last one was in August just after school started. I had to take her in on a Sat and we saw Dr. B. He put her on an antibiotic for 20 days. When we followed up with Dr. L he said that's what he would have done too. She hasn't had another one since then and Dr. L did check her hearing and pressure when she was in about a month ago. It was fine!

    He said as long as that is good he's not going for tubes even if she gets another infection. I was happy about that. So I guess we'll see how that goes. I just LOVE him!

    We go to an opthamologist on Thursday. Ellie's had 5 eye infections due to a clogged tear duct. We have a consult for a procedure to fix it. I'm not looking forward to that, but I know it's best.
    Anyway...hope his ears are better soon. Ear infections are NO fun for our babies or for us mommies.

    ReplyDelete