Friday, June 24, 2011

Adventures in Applesauce

This video makes me laugh every time I watch it.  Truitt does NOT like applesauce.  I 'm pretty sure it's the texture becuase he loved the raw apple but this is what happened when he tasted the applesauce...



Anyway, despite the epic fail of him liking it- I LOVED making it!  I made 20oz for less than $3. 

I bought 6 Red Delicious (because they were the cheapest) apples and then washed, peeled and cubed them. 
Photobucket

We have a rice cooker/steamer that we NEVER use so I pulled it out and filled it with 6 cups of water and placed the apple cubes in and then they steamed for about 30 minutes.  (Also, I couldn't find a steamer basket at walmart!?)
Photobucket

Once they were tender I transfered them to the blender and added about 1/2cup of the steaming liquid (which was pink!) and blended until I got the right consistency.  I debated if I should use breastmilk but I read that while steaming is the cooking method that retains the most nutrients, if you use the steamed liquid to thin the food you're adding what was lost back in.
Photobucket
Photobucket

I then spooned the applesauce into an icecube tray after it had cooled about 15 minutes in the blender.  I went to walk it to the fridge (3 ft away) AND DROPPED IT ON THE FLOOR!  Luckily it landed right side up so while applesauce flew everywhere I didn't waste too much.  After it was in the fridge a few hours I transferred to the freezer over night.
Photobucket
Photobucket

After it was frozen, I popped the apple cubes out and placed them in a freezer bag labeled and dated.  They are approximately 1oz servings and will keep for a month.  So whenever we want to try applesauce again I just grab one or two cubes out of the freezer, thaw and eat! Yaaaay!
Photobucket

This was SUPER easy and it is so nice knowing exactly what T is eating!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha!!! So cute! And good for you...making your own food!! I am totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I love the video! Too funny! The only thing Ethan doesn't like, so far, is peas. Every time, the boy gags and makes faces. I agree with you about making food. #1, it's so easy, and #2, you know exactly what's in it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I have a rice cooker/steamer vie never used either and think I'll try it for baby food. Have you made anything else?

    ReplyDelete