Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Your baby is too skinny...

That's what I keep hearing OVER AND OVER AND OVER.  As if breastfeeding didn't come along with enough obstacles (thankfully I've had to face very few) now I keep getting told that I am starving my baby.  He doesn't have chubby cheeks, three rolls on each leg or a pooching out belly but I don't think he is unhealthy.  Now I am starting to wonder since it seems everyone wants to mention it.  And by everyone I mean the majority of my in-laws, some of my family, friends and even strangers.  I cannot tell you how many times I heard this weekend "are you going to make him starve for another 2 months", "why is he so skinny", "he needs some potatoes", "he's nursing again!?"  The list goes on and on and on.  If I'm guessing right he's about 14-15 pounds (we'll know on Thursday) and that is right at the 50th percentile for his age.  Of my friends, granted they all have girls, their 4 month checkup stats this week have been 14.4lbs 26in, 14.9lbs 25in, and 16(!!)lbs 26in.  I'm pretty sure T is right in there with them AND he's exclusively breastfed and solids have not been introduced.  Just because I nurse on demand and sometimes he wants to nurse twice in an hour doesn't mean his stomach is bone dry and just because I leave the room to nurse him doesn't mean he's hungry- I'M TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM YOUR MEAN COMMENTS!

I am slightly worried because he is slowing down being that he was 80% at 2 weeks and 70th at 2 months but he'd have to eat nonstop to keep up with those numbers.  He seems satisified when he's done nursing and he eats as long as he wants.  The majortiy of the time when he unlatches he has milk running out of the corner of his mouth and definitely has the "milk drunk" look.  He is growing and has PLENTY of wet diapers a day (needing to be changed at least every 2 hours) and he seems happy and healthy.

Granted, we could go in Thursday and the doctor will tell me otherwise and tell me to start supplementing but YOU ARE NOT A DOCTOR SO QUIT JUDGING ME FOR BREASTFEEDING MY SON.

I was strongly thinking of skipping cereal at 4 months and waiting to introduce any solids until 6 months because of many things that I have read explaining the benefits of doing so but now I am starting to question if he needs them now... bottom line is if the doctor thinks he's "too skinny" we will go with what he recommends.

I just never realized I would get so much criticism for chosing to do something so natural.  Thankfully my mother and close friends are amazingly supportive!

/rant :)

14 comments:

  1. It is amazing how many people think it is okay to blurt out their opinions at you once you have a baby. I can totally relate to your frustration. This weekend I was told things left and right about my lil' man and the helmet he needs for his plagiocephaly. But back to you, just wait and see what your doctor says. My guy was 17 lbs. at about 4 1/2 months, but as you know, every baby is different. And I truly believe in nursing/feeding on demand. People can take their judgements and shove 'em! LOL!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geez, if I had a penny for every time someone commented on how "little" or "skinny" G is, I would be rich! At his 4 month appointment, G was around 13 lbs. and in the 25th percentile for weight and 50th for height. The doc wasn't concerned and said it would be okay to delay solids. People just love to comment on something they *think* they know. Don't worry, momma, you're doing a GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only new to this game but you certainly haven't described anything to suggest he is not getting what he needs. Society and weight related issues are a little crazy. Those who wish to criticise usually have an agenda even if it is making themselves feel better about their own failings etc. I've never seen a picture of T and thought he is underweight. He is a healthy handsome little guy. Stick to your guns. Breastfeeding is the best start for your son's life. Noone has the right to make u feel bad about giving that to him. Think you'll find your doctor has no worries. ;-). Chin up! You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't worry at all. My little girl is just now on 100% formula at 18 wks. At her 4 month appt. (17 wks) She was 50/50. Nursing didnt go so well for me. I exclusively pumped till i went back to work. And since then we have been giving her what i had stocked in freezer and formula the rest of the time.

    My point is....at her 4 mo appt (17 wks) She weighed in at 13lbs even (about 50th), 26 inches (90-95th). She has ALWAYS been a long lean baby. I don't think she would be any different whether it was 100% BM or 100% formula. She isn't a BIG eater. But eats well. Dr. said she is growing perfectly and was totally happy with where she is. We did start introducing some solids the past 2 weeks. But thats not because she is skinny. It's because she is ready with other signs. And since she isnt a BIG eater. It helps supplement a little. But it's more about the signs she is showing. I was also given the option to wait till 6months if we wanted to. We choose to go ahead and start. But I don't think that's for everyone. Just worked for us.

    You are doing an excellant job as a nursing mama. I probably would have some back to those people with snippy comments. Truitt is perfect :-) remind anyone who says anything that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. it wouldnt let me sign in with my google account. I'm a new follower. williamsonswithlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ignore them! That's what I've had to do... I know it's annoying, but that's really all you can do unless you want to yell at them... I'm tempted to do that with my inlaws! Elah is EBF, and I feed on demand as well. She is definately going through a growth spurt AND teething so she is constantly wanting to nurse for not only food but for comfort. I weighed her last night and she is only 12lbs, she was 5lbs at birth. I have no worries that I am starving her because she is an active baby who seriously pees ALL the time. I go through cloth diapers like you wouldn't believe! Every baby is different, and I think you are doing an AWESOME job EBF! It's SO healthy for your little man, and it's OK that he's a skinny little man! As long as he is wetting his diaper regularly he should be fine! I plan on keeping Elah on only breastmilk until she's 6 months old... I don't think she's ready for any kind of solid. Stay strong momma, YOU know what's best for your son! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wylie was 13.13 ounces at his 4 month checkup, I wouldn't worry! As long as he's gaining, he's doing perfectly fine...don't worry about what those other people say, you know your son best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rylin has been in the 25th% in weight her entire life. She has been on formula since 2.5 months and solids for the past month(Drs. Recommendation) and there isn't much of a difference. He is probably just a cluster feeder and that's no big deal. You should tell your in-laws that this is the decision that YOU have made for your son and that if they can not at least be positive about it then to please keep their comments to themselves and go eat another potato!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww! That is pure rubbish! I think you are doing the right thing by waiting to hear what the doctor's say and not listening to everyone else! I can imagine how discouraging and irritating that is though.

    And as far as exclusively breastfeeding, I am doing just that. My baby is two months old and he's pretty chunky! Babies are just like us humans, all different shapes and sizes. They cant expect your baby to look like other babies they've see. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw! Don't worry about them. Once your doctor tells you what's what, you can use that for a retort!He looks fine to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh honey, we get told the something. Elliot is at the 10th percentile but growing well and, according to our doctor, VERY HEALTHY. I'm sure Truitt is just fine! Our doctor even told us that obesity in babies is becoming a problem nowadays. Just because most babies are huge doesn't mean yours has to be!
    You're doing a great job- nursing and otherwise. :) I know exactly how you feel, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS- I really, really hope you stick wi your original plan and wait to introduce cereal. The research against introducing it before 6 months is overwhelming. Some doctors are so used to the fact that babies used to start it at 4 months that they'll still say you can do it. But most likely, his digestive system isn't ready. The huge increase in food allergies is mostly blamed on the fact that so many babies were started on solids too early.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some babies are just thinner. My boys eat the exact same but one is obviously much fatter than the other. Those people need to shove it. Do they know how awesome it is that you are exclusively breastfeeding?! Seriously. The fact you are getting mean comments disgusts me!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for the support!!!

    Jessica Williamson- I tried to comment on your blog (I'm following now!) but there's no comment form!?

    ReplyDelete