Monday, March 21, 2011

Pumping frustration!

Thank goodness Truitt hates bottles because I HATE pumping.  That hate comes from lack of results.  He ate from the right side and then after I showered I pumped both sides at the same time... I only got 1oz from the left (he ate from it about 2.5 hours before pumping) and .5oz from the right (ate from it 1 hour prior to pumping). WHAT?!!?  I'm pretty sure he's getting more than that while nursing because otherwise he'd be super skinny, right?  I'm going to ask for a recommendiation of a lactation consulant when we go to Wednesday's appointment.  The most I've EVER gotten was 3oz from one side but I normally average about 2oz between the two.

I went a week where I pumped every feeding to see if that produced more and it didn't.  I also tried drinking Mother's Milk tea and it made no impact on the pumping so I'm thinking it's not a production issue, it's just a pumping problem!

I'm using the Medela Pump In Style Advanced... I've also tried the Harmony hand pump and get the same amount only with a tired hand!  According to the website I needed smaller breastshields so I bought those and saw no change... I also got the softsheilds (target had them on clearance for $3.88!!) and those don't really help me get more out, they're just more comfortable.

When he eats he falls off the breast when he's done and has milk left in his mouth that he hasn't swallowed yet so that should mean he's getting enough...right?

He has an appt for a weight check (at my request) on Wednesday at 2:50

10 comments:

  1. Happened upon your site from another blogger when I saw your title. Not sure if anyone recommended this already, but Mother's Milk tea works wonders.

    I've posted a lot on breastfeeding (friends still call me the "breastfeeding Guru lol), if you need help or are just curious please stop by and ask away:

    http://chocolatemomrants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have the tea...Here are some more tips:

    1. Comfy location to pump with no distractions, even play relaxing music if you can
    2. Drink as much water as you can without gagging lol
    3. keep talking your prenatal vitamins
    4. apply a warm compress or towel/take a hot shower before
    5. have baby near by or a photo sometimes the visual also helps with the stimulation
    6. Make sure you're eating enough calories, remember pumping burns up alot!!
    7. Try to pump either after nursing or simultaneously (imagine you have twins!)

    Or maybe you need better suction on pump
    ;-)

    I'm actually going to post this...have had a lot of people ask lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm by no means an expert, but I was only getting around that much when I was at home (breastfeed then pump). T is way more effective and efficient at getting your milk than a pump is, and as long as he has enough wet/dirty diapers, it means he is getting enough. I hate pumping, so I stopped pumping after a while, and I'm only doing it 4 times now (bleh) because I'm at work and have to produce enough for daycare.

    Seeing as how T is growing like a weed, I wouldn't worry about whether or not he is getting enough. Is there a reason why you need to pump?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, there's no reason especially since he refuses a bottle. We are pretty sure, God willing, that I will be able to stay home for a year. Selfishly, I would LOVE For E to be able to give him a bottle on the weekends so I could sleep for more than 3 hours at a time but no big reason why! I'm just worried about supply!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no advice for you, but to answer your question left in a comment on my blog, our Kroger doubles coupons every day up to $0.50. Yay! Hope things get better for you. (Hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as he's gaining weight, pooping, and not dehydrated he's getting enough. Babies pull more milk out when nursing then we get with pumping. So most likely your supply is fine.

    I don't pump often, but when I do, it helps to either look at my boy or sing one of the songs I sing to him when nursing. Basically anything that relaxes me and gets me thinking of him.

    The Breastfeeding forum on babycenter.com has a lot of great women with ideas and advice there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't worry about what the pumping does or does yield. . .but if you are truly uneasy and worried if your baby is getting enough, you may want to meet with a lactation consultant. They can have you come in for a weigh & feed visit- this is where you weight baby before he nurses and then after, in an effort to determine his intake. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was getting the same amount while pumping - it was super frustrating and I actually gave up on pumping and BF'ing all together last week. Dayne just wasn't getting enough from me and we were supplementing with formula as it was. I am glad to hear things are going easier (as far as BF'ing goes) with you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Samantha, I have the same problem, I was only able to get 1.5 at the most from both sides after 45 minutes! then I started pumping when he misses a feeding, normally when we got out and come back home as he stays asleep the whole time, so after about 4 hours from the last feeding, then I am able to get 3 oz out of both in only 15 minutes, and that works for me, so try to pump only when he misses a feeding, hopefully that would work better, i tried different pumps and my favorite is Avent hand pump! good luck, and don't get frustrated, T is growing strong and fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am lucky if I get 1 oz both sides per pumping session! It stinks!

    ReplyDelete