Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stupid Rash

Well the meds appear to have made the rash worse.  I called the doctor's office back and they want him to come in tomorrow.  Instead of just twice a day though, they want us to use the prescription cream at every change and use neosporin once tonight and once in the morning.  The nurse told us that sometime the prescription makes the bottom look worse even though it's making it better.  Also, this afternoon I had him just bare butt and wrapped up and will probably do that again after the next diaper change.

I am TERRIFIED that he is going to tell me that Truitt has an allergy to my breastmilk and we need to switch to formula.  Granted, if it will help him I will do it in a heartbeat BUT I do not want to!  First, he fights the bottle SO much it will be a very hard few days getting him used to it.  We have gotten him to take 1oz from a Tommee Tippee (when my mom was holding him) and 1oz from a Soothie (from E) but he fusses the whole time and pushes the nipple out with his tounge so it takes forever! Secondly, formula is expensive.  If we have to start spending money on it that we do not have budgeted for at the current time I will not be able to stay at home with him nearly as long.  Also there are the health benefits for the two of us and the convience.  I know it isn't the easiest having to plan things in two hour blocks but with the weather we haven't been out of the house much and the few times we have been, I haven't had any problems nursing him in the car or in public with a cover.  We don't have to worry about having to clean bottles, keep formula water, have it measured correctly, worry about when it'll spoil.  With us being iced snowed in right now, I can't imagine the stress of people worrying if they'll have enough formula to hold them until they can get back out.

I know MANY people use formula and I don't think it is wrong so please don't think I am being judgemental (even though this is my blog) but breastfeeding is just better for us!

His doctor is very much for breastfeeding so I don't think we will jump to that option but we will see.  I have heard of testing to see if he has the allergy so I am going to ask about that.  I also plan to ask him about the colic and make sure it is just "normal" crying and that he isn't having any other issues.  You can tell the rash is getting to him though.  He has slept practically all day :(  I am so ready for my baby to feel better!

10 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! So sorry the rash is so hard to beat. My mom tells me I had the worst diaper rash ever and had giant bubbles on my butt. They had to have me go diaperless for days. But I didn't have to go on formula, if that's any help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope he feels better! you might want to check on what you eat. I had times when my daughter seems to have rashes from certain food i ate. I cloth diaper so rashes should be minimal. but certain foods kinda have the effect on her. just an idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive tried no dairy, citrus, spicy or tomatoes but there's no change either way. Monica, what brand cloth diapers do you use? I'm going to try gdiapers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mind me asking what the prescription is? Has anyone suggested that it might be yeast? VERY common in newborns.

    I second using cloth diapers if at all possible or using a "chlorine free" disposable (like Seventh Generation) and wipe with a soft cloth and water only.

    As far as eliminating foods from your diet, it can take *weeks* to see changes . . .

    I hope Truitt will feel better soon!!! Goodness he is cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prescription cream is an antifungal which I THINK is for yeast?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, though they come in different forms. Some options to discuss with your Doctor are: Nystatin and if that doesn't work, then try Clotrimazole along with a Hydro-cortisone cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Samantha, I am so sorry to hear about this. Jillian had terrible diaper rash in the beginning, week 2 I think. Eventually it went away with a lot of TLC. We only used water and towels to wipe her, used the hair dryer to make sure she was thoroughly dry, and then let her have a TON of naked baby time on a towel with no diaper on. We even made her nap with naked for a bit....

    On a side note, if it is associated with your breastmilk, it's okay. If you go to bottle feeding, your baby will still grow up healthy as can be.

    Keep us posted on what the doctor says. I am here for you if you need anything.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget I won the Stylish Blogger Award, and I'm passing it on to you. You deserve it and congrats! You can go to my blog and get all the details there!

    http://tiffanilifes-a-blog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm using fuzzibunz one size. Been cloth diapering for over 6 months now and it worked great for us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used Nystatin from the doctor for my oldest's diaper rash. I hope you can continue to breastfeed since that's what you want but in the off chance you have to use formula (or even when you are breastfeeding there are benefits for the mom), look into Texas' WIC program. Here's the link to the eligibility
    http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd/policy/pdf_files/CS_12-0.pdf but you might make too much money to qualify. Where I live the income limits are a lot higher but it's worth a look!

    ReplyDelete