Friday, February 4, 2011

Answers!

So when I called the doctor's office Wednesday they called in an antifungal cream because that's the most common stubborn rash.  The redness was going away but the blistering was still there so we went ahead and took Truitt to the doctor this morning.  First- he's up to 11lbs 7.5oz which is the 88th percentile!  Dr L looked at his heiny and said that it's a bacterial infection.  When babies go through growth spurts their poop turns more acidic and that's what caused the rash.  This makes a lot of sense because his last one was around the 3wk growth spurt and now again close to 6 weeks.  Anyway- he said it's very common in 1-2 month olds and that even if we changed him as soon as he went to the bathroom (which we do- even if we don't hear him going he starts crying immediately so we know!) that the rash would still have popped up.  Some babies just have much more sensitive skin and that's why not all of them get it.  So the plan- at each change wipe with a sensitive brand diaper wipe, then with a dripping wet warm washcloth, air dry, then three times a day use the new prescription cream and the other changes use Flanders.  He said my diet/milk has nothing to do with it and that while cloth diapers obviously wouldn't hurt it, they won't help or prevent it either.

While we were there I asked him about the screaming.  He ruled out reflux and said that it is "just colic."  This is good and bad.  Good because there's nothing wrong with him; bad because there's nothing we can do about it other than wait it out.  He told us to continue to 5 S's (swaddling, shushing, swinging, side/stomach laying, and sucking) and to give gas drops as needed.

I also asked him if we needed to give him iron or vitamin d supplement drops and he said he was actually part of a medical study that showed as long as mom has a balanced diet and the baby is exposed to natural sunlight (even as little as 15 minutes a day through a window) they are not needed.  Formula has four times the amount of iron than breastmilk but breastmilk is made for babies and all they need-in most cases. I am also still taking my prenatal vitamin.

I asked him about the bottle refusal and he said to just keep at it.  He told me to not even try to give him one but let E and the grandparents try and he would take it sooner or later.  I don't mind him relying on me for every feeding but I would like to be able to go on a date with E for our anniversay on the 21st!

Lastly, I haven't been able to feel Truitt's soft spot.  I seriously thought he didn't have one and that really worried me... anyway Dr L showed me where it is and it's much smaller than I was expecting.  He said that it's still within normal range and that it was so hard to find because all of Mr Man's hair!  I figured he'd laugh at me for asking such a silly question but he didn't :)

7 comments:

  1. that diaper rash sure sounds stubborn! Hope it clears up with the new regime! Glad you got all of your questions answered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww poor little guy with his rash :(
    I really hope the new plan works!!!!
    Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a great pediatrician! Good luck on the bum healing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, the fast growing little fella! :) I hope his bottom gets well with the new regimine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the diaper rash is actually yeast (you'll know this because of the red blistering and the fact that it doesn't clear with diaper cream), try gentian violet. http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Gentian%20Violet.asp

    It's weird and purple (you administer it orally) but it WORKS wonders. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pedi wants us to do vitamin D but we live in Florida for goodness sake! Not to mention, vitamin D is fat soluble and the overdose symptoms are far worse than the deficiency symptoms.

    You Dr recommends stomach sleeping for colicky babies. What about "back to sleep"? I ask because I am dying to stomach sleep them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pookie- the 5s's are from the book Happiest Baby on the Block. The stomach and side laying is just for holding the baby or putting him while he's awake... they still say just sleeping on their back BUT he sleeps on my chest everynight on his belly :/

    ReplyDelete