Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Diaper rash

Truitt is already 3 weeks old! I cannot believe how fast the time is going!!!  Things have been going really well. I'm still REALLY tired but I guess my body is getting used to it because each day is easier.  The cluster feeding is only here and there instead of all night every night and he is sleeping for 2-3 hours at a time at night and goes to bed pretty quickly after he eats. 

Sunday we tried to go and take newborn pictures but he cried the entire time so we walked out without anything.  Thank goodness they didn't charge us anything but I was still upset.  I think the big problem was that we have been fighting a HORRIBLE diaper rash.  The pedi told us that breastfed babies are more prone to diaper rash because breastmilk is higher in sodium than formula and therefore the poop can be more irritating but I thought we could avoid it with frequent changes.  His bottom (mainly in between his cheeks) started getting red so we tried Boudreux's Butt Paste.  It didn't help but didn't make it worse so I tried Balmex.  Same thing... wasn't helping, wasn't hurting.  I then tried switch diapers AND wipes and not any better.  The rash started spreading and getting more red so then I tried Triple Paste.  Horrible idea... it blistered his skin and turned it bright red.  I was heartbroken that something I did hurt him so badly.  Next we tried Desitin and while it was helping, the rash was so bad we were planning on calling the doctor.  E decided to use cornstarch only baby powder (put it into our hands and then wiped it on the bottom so that there was now powder dust in the air for baby to breathe in) and it really seemed to be clearing things up slowly.  The past two nights we even soaked him in warm water (without any soap) and then wrapped him up in towels and blankets for about an hour so his bottom could be diaper free.  When our pedi had told us about breastfed babies being prone to rashes he told us his favorite cream was Flanders. 

Photobucket

The ONLY place that he knows of that carries it is CVS about 20 minutes away from our house and even though it's not prescription, they keep it behind the pharmacy counter.  We wanted to get it Sunday but the pharmacy was already closed so we went and got it yesterday.  This stuff is AMAZING!   All of the blisters are gone, the red is now just pink and the rash is probably a third of the size it was last night.  I am SO relieved and pray it continues to work! 

Any of you mommas fighting diaper rash... please try this!

Mr Man is waking up so that's all for now.

5 comments:

  1. ive never of heard of this!
    thats awesome it worked tho!
    i havee heard buttpaste doesn't work at all. which is a jip cause its so expensive, i love destin but they their skin becomes immune & it doesn't work after awhile so this is good to know! :) thanks momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son isn't born yet but I'm going to pick this up should the need arise. I havn't heard about the breastfed babies having a worse case of diaper rash, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, so glad Truitt is feeling better! I'm adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad the rash is getting better! I'll add that stuff to my shopping list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip! So glad the little man is getting better!

    ReplyDelete