Saturday, December 18, 2010

Trying to get things going...

So I think that IF I were to go into labor in the next week I'd have a chance at delivering vaginally so I'm trying a lot of things :)

Sex- Semen contains prostaglandins which are supposed to help soften your cervix, also if you orgasm the uterine contraction can trigger labor contractions.  I feel like I'm back in my TTC days because afterwards I'm literally laying with a pillow under my butt to get the semen to my cervix so the prostaglandins can start working.  It's quite awkward though because my belly is SO big!  So far I haven't had any noticable results (but hopefully I'm dilating some or effacing more) but it can't hurt, right?  Plus at least 6 weeks postpartum is quite a long time to wait for the poor hubs.

Pineapple- Eat FRESH pineapple on an empty stomach before a meal. Pineapple, as well as papaya and mango, contain a proteolytic enzyme called bromelainThe mechanism by which pineapple contributes to inducing labor might be the proteolytic action of bromelain. Bromelain might help to soften the connective tissue of the cervix and, thus, bring on labor. Now, you probably have to eat a whole shipment of fresh pineapple and if I eat too much it blisters my mouth but I did eat half of one before supper last night and I will eat the other half with breakfast or lunch today.  It's tasty so why not!

Nipple Stimulation- Oxytocin is released when breasts are stimulated which can trigger contractions to be longer or stronger.  I hooked up my breastpump and it went to work.  At first I was using the double pump feature and then turned one side off and HOLY GEEZ there's a difference!  I have read for effective pumping to turn it up to the level that is uncomfortable and then turn it down one notch so I figured that would work for this too but goodness I made a mess!  I was leaning back in the recliner so the colostrum was pooling around the cup rather than running down into the bottle.  I didn't even realize I had that much until it was running down my stomach. What an experience- that stuff is STICKY!  Good news is I know how to use my pump; bad news is no contractions.

Walking-  With work I've been getting off at 6pm and "thanks" to daylight savings time nonsense it's already dark when I get home.  On Fridays and Saturdays I get off at 4 though so E, Sophie and Emma and I went for a walk when I got home yesterday.  It was cold and windy but the puppy girls had sweaters on so they seemed to enjoy it but E and I were pretty dang uncomfortable. Today's walking will be at walmart and some other stores finishing up our Christmas shopping.

I've pretty much decided that this kiddo is either coming on Christmas day or not until the c-section.  I would LOVE for him to be here sooner but seeing as  E and I were both 2 weeks late I just don't see Truitt choosing a different path.  As for Christmas day, everyone keeps mentioning how absolutely horrible it will be for him to have his birthday then so I think that's when it will happen IF labor is going to happen on its own.  All we can do is sit and wait.  I promise to my child though that regardless of what day his birthday is on, Christmas or not, we will always try everything possible to make it the best birthday ever.

Signs and symptoms wise- not much. Yesterday I had three very strong and painful contractions back to back where I could barely catch my breath but that was it.  I still have Braxton Hicks on and off all day as well as some shooting pains in my cervix when I change positions.  Each morning I loose a fairly good size of mucus and it's changed from clear to more white with brown tinge to it so I'm thinking it may be part of my plug?  Not sure.

I'm feeling better about the high probability of having a scheduled c-section.  My family is very supportive and I know that they will all be willing to help in any way they can during those first few weeks.  A lot of my friends have had some serious complications with vaginal birth and are still having problems months and years later from the tearing or cutting during labor as well as bladder problems and hemroids.  So at least I know I will be avoiding that for the most part.  I am still really bummed that during that most important hour after birth I will be laying on my back getting sewn up and then super drowsy in recovery rather than holding my baby and bonding with him but as long as he and I are both safe, we will be able to make up for it somehow.  I'm also worried about the pain meds effecting breastfeeding but so many c-section mommas do well and I'm confident that the nurses will be very helpful.

So now, we sit and wait.  I've also read that Italian food can stimulate labor- something about the oregeno and another spice used so E and I may be going out for supper tonight.  There's an authentic Italian place we love and I'm thinking it is what's on our menu tonight.  Also, Monday I am planning on going to get my last pre-baby eyebrow wax and am going to treat myself to a pedi.  I am going to ask the lady to push all of the pressure points that she knows of that can stimulate labor.  Although I don't think he's coming early I don't think there's any harm in trying to speed things along!

Tomorrow we are doing E's dad's side of the family's Christmas.  We normally do it Christmas Eve but I will be working and his cousin's girls are 4 and 8 so they need to be home (about 3 hours away) for Christmas morning to open Santa's gifts.  I'm hoping all the great food may trigger something!!!

2 comments:

  1. good luck with your "natural" tactics. :) either way it happens, you're very very close! and whether it's vaginal or c-section, you'll do great mama! can't wait to see your updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like we're in the same boat! I've tried nearly everything you've mentioned, except for the nipple stimulation. So far, NADA! But it gives me something to do. I've had a lot of really uncomfortable BH's so hopefully something is stirring up in there. We don't have much longer!!

    ReplyDelete