Friday, December 31, 2010

Birth Story and Hospital Stay

First let me start by saying we're home.  We stayed at the hospital two nights.  Yesterday morning Dr P came in and released me but said if I felt like I needed to we could stay another day.  The day after birth was VERY rough-more to come in a bit- but yesterday I got out of bed at about 7am and was up and around until 10am and did great so we decided to come on home.  Since getting home things have been quite the whirlwind BUT we are happy.  E and I have snapped at each other but things are going well. I was up pretty much all night but that was probably my fault!

I wasn't expected to sleep ANY before the induction but I was able to sleep from about 9:30-1:30 and then up at 2, 3 and stayed up at 3:40 and started getting ready.  We got to the hospital at 5:00am and got things going.  My nurse had me fill out the paperwork, got me into a gown, we took our last pregnant belly picture, got me on the monitors and finally started the pitocin at 6:25.  Before the meds started I was 3cm, 80% effaced still-3station and having contractions regularly every 10 minutes but wasn't feeling anything.  Dr P does a high dose pitocin protocol so I started at 6 units rather than the normal 2 and after 30 minutes it's bumped to 16 and then to 24 in another 30 minutes!!!  At 7:10 Dr P came in and broke my water.  Holy geez I didn't know there was so much.  I seriously thought that after all of that water that Truitt was only going to weigh 7lbs and the rest of the big belly had to be due to fluid!  When he broke my water I was 3-4cm, 80%, and still -3station.  By 8am I was having painful contractions that were 3 minutes apart but able to breathe through them.  About 30 minutes later I said I was ready for the epidural and then got out of bed until the anesthesiologist made it in there. E wasn't able to watch because he was a bit woozy but it wasn't bad at all!  He had me sit cross legged on the bed and roll my back out towards him.  My nurse helped hold my neck down.  I had about 3 strong contractions during this time and luckly breathed through them just fine.  By 9:20 the epidural meds were in and I felt WONDERFUL!  My nurse checked me again and I was 6cm, 100% effaced but still -3 station.  No one could believe how quickly I had dilated.  At 11:00 I was checked again and was 8cm and finally he had dropped to -2station.  At 1:30 Dr P got out of surgery and came and checked me again.  I was 9cm but unfortunately never got past -2 station so he decided it was time for a c-section.  I was completely ok with this.  I had given labor every chance and it wasn't bad at all (thanks to the epidural!) so I wouldn't always be wondering what if.  My nurse told me that now she felt ok in telling me that she thought my baby was going to weigh close to 10lbs!

We wheeled into the OR at 2:02 and the prep began.  I was doing well and didn't have the anxiety or difficultly breathing that I figured would set in. At 2:16 (or 18 I can't remember) the cutting began and E got to come sit by my head.  Truitt was born at 2:22!  E immediately popped out of his chair and went to the warmer to watch him get his once over :)  He scored 9 on his apgar!  They took him to the nursery to weigh him and finish the assesment and then someone came in and told me that my "little guy" was 9lbs 12oz!  There was NO way he would have come out vaginally and the reason why he never dropped was because of some "ledge" on my pelvic bone.  After I was sewn up (2:38) I was wheeled back into my room and E came in shortly after and started showing me pictures.  Truitt came in a few minutes later and I began to nurse him.  He latches like a champ!  He nursed for an HOUR and was still screaming when we'd take him off the breast so the nurse told us she thought we should supplement.  His blood sugar was also slightly low at 47 and they want it above 50.  He ate an ounce and a half!  Afterwards the guests began coming in to meet Truitt.  About 7 they took him back to the nursery for bath and pictures and I was moved into a different room in the postpartum hall because there are so many deliveries right now.  My mom stayed with me for a while and E went home to eat, shower and check on the dogs.  After E came back I fed Truitt again and then we sent him to the nursery and had them bring him back when it was time to eat.  I'd nurse 30min-hour and then we'd give him a bottle until he was satifisfied.

The nurse came in at about 6am Wednesday morning and took my catheter out and then also got rid of my morphine pump :(.  I had a friend come in about 8 and I finally got up out of bed.  I was very sore but it felt great to get out of that bed and I sat in a rocker for about an hour.  After she left we decided I'd get up and shower and I went to pee for the first time.  As I walked to the bathroom I left a trail of bright red blood and then when I sat down I passed some really big (lemon sized) clots.  We called the nurse and she said she'd call the doctor and I went ahead and showered.  The doctor ordered some meds to start contractions again to make sure it wasn't active bleeding.  The next time I had to go to the bathroom I had more clots and was really weak and shaking.  She called the doctor and he was in the room within 10 minutes.  He then layed my bed down flat which caused a lot of pain and I felt like I couldn't breathe... then he stuck his handS inside of me while a nurse pushed on my uterus from the outside.  I was screaming and have never hurt that bad in my life.  He was able to get almost all of the clots out and thankfully my bloodwork came back showing the blood levels were actually better than they had been first thing in the morning.  Probably what caused this was since I almost fully dilated but then had a c-section, the clots didn't come out when the placenta was delivered.  At one point they were mentioning an emergency d&c but thank goodness the contraction pills and fundal massage took care of it.  The rest of the day I was in extreme pain and an emotional mess so we asked for no visitors other than our parents.

The night went really well though as did Thursday morning so we got released.  Since the meds I have only had minor bleeding.  I still have contractions when Truitt latches on to nurse but they're not bad.  My incision is very sore still (18 staples!) but each time I get up hurts a little less and once I'm standing straight I feel really good.

Last night, our first night home was a little rough.  We got home at about 2 and had constant visitors until 9. Truitt is happiest on the boob but since I don't have my milk yet he pretty much just uses it as a pacifier.  By the time he gets to the bottle he's so hungry he eats too fast and then gets gassy and hurts his belly.  I really hope my milk comes in soon and that helps him out! We're sleeping in the living room right now until my staples come out and I can lay flat and last night Truitt didn't like his bassinet and wanted to sleep on my chest only.  I let E sleep and just woke him up when Truitt needed changing so I think I slept maybe 3 hours the whole night.  I was planning on napping today while E took care of him but haven't been able to sleep more than 30 minutes at a time or so. 

It is all SO worth it though!

Oh, I weighed yesterday and am down 15.8lbs already! I guess that's easy to believe seeing as my baby was almost 10 of that!

Thank you all for your kind words and congratulations, we really appreciate it!

Here's some pictures :)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Sam... I saw your pics on FB and your were just ENORMOUS. I know you were sticking up weekly pics but they just didn't show just how big you had gotten. No wonder you were so uncomfortable mate!

    They let you home really early but I dare say that will have a bit to do with skeleton staffing over Christmas and New Year (if they are anything like here). Are you getting home midwife visits? Over at the big local public hospital here they send women home (if able) after a day or two but they have a midwife team that comes every six hours to make sure everything is all good.

    I'm glad you are all doing well. The early parts are probably the hardest because everything is so new and your body is still trying to heal but you'll start to get into a bit of a routine and things wil calm down. Don't be afraid to ask help from friends, family and medical staff if you need it.

    Congratulations lovely - he's a beautiful little guy!!

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved reading your story, it gives me hope, i too have pcos and am currently on round 3 of clomid! Your baby is beautful btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww! He's so handsome! I loved your story! Very detailed and gave me something to look forward to! He's a big boy! I hope y'all get some sleep soon and enjoy bringing in the new year with a new addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truitt is a little doll!! You are going to have sooo much fun with him, mama! It's nice to hear you are at peace and happy with the way the birth experience went. Enjoy your new family and keep the wonderful pictures and posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing!
    have you started pumping? that is how i got mine to come in so fast. but that only if you wanna be a slave to the pump it comes in, in full force!
    but im so happy tru.itt is healthy & so are you!

    I have some of those crazy clots, they feel so werid coming out! :S anyway! enjoy your new year with your new little family :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's HUGE! And so sweet! Congratulations again :)

    ReplyDelete