Monday, November 15, 2010

Pediatrician Appointment and Breastfeeding Class

This afternoon we met with Truitt's pediatrician.  I had pretty much decided we were going to use him because of friends' recommendations but we still wanted to meet with him to make sure.  The waiting room is great- there are a total of 7 doctors in the practice so it's seperated by doctors and each area has a sick and well child area so that you don't catch a bug while you're there for a well visit.  Dr L is very inviting and he has a 7, 5 and 2 1/2 year old so he knows his stuff at home and at work!  We were able to get all of our questions asked and then some.

*Circumcision-  I know this is VERY controversial but we wanted to hear what he had to say as we aren't completely sure what we want to do.  He said these days it's getting very close to 50/50 on if boys are being circumcised.  He said it pretty much is if dad is, baby is although there are obviously exceptions.  The pros are that it reduces furture risk for STDs (hopefully he will be responsible enough to not have to worry about this!), reduce the chance of penile cancer, it is proven to reduce infections in young boys and it is "easier" to keep clean.  Cons are that it is a medical procedure that will cause minor-moderate pain during and for a few hours after and if not properly cared for it can get infected.  He said that it can be done anytime in the first two weeks but they prefer to do it the morning after birth in the hospital so that the nurses can watch the healing.  I think we have decided that we will be having this done.

*Newborn Visits-  Dr L will see Truitt in the nursery the day he is born regardless of who is on call (unless he's out of town- I think he said he is going to be gone the last few days of December) to assess him.  After discharge he likes a visit at 3-5days old and then again when baby is two weeks old.  As long as everything is going well he will see him again at 2,4,6,9, and 12 months old.

*Sick Care-  He will see a sick child the day you call for an appointment and the practice has an "on-call" line where you speak to either a nurse practioner or the actual doctor after hours.  They are also open on Saturdays for sick children.

*Pacifiers-  He highly recommends them because they reduce the chance of SIDS.  As long as they are not causing breastfeeding problems, try to give them to baby!  ALSO- HAVING A FAN ON IN THE BABY'S ROOM REDUCES THE RISK OF SIDS 70%

I know we talked about more but I can't think of anything else.

Tonight I had my breastfeeding class at the hospital.  It was informative and comforting to know other people are having the same questions I am.  There were only 6 women in the class, and 4 were having girls.  The only other momma having a little boy is due the same day as me!  She's having a scheduled c-section on 12/27 though because she has pelvic floor disease.  ANYWAY- the class.  Here's some of the most helpful/neat to know things we talked about.

*It is very important to first nurse within two hours of giving birth.  Baby will be most alert at this time and it is the best time to get a good latch

*Colostrum is like a power bar and even a teaspoon has enough to satisfy baby

*Your milk will come in normally between days 3 and 5

*The consultant recommended NOT pumping until a few weeks after birth. She said it is so stressful at first that pumping adds so much more that you don't need to worry about.

*If you make it through the first 2 weeks you're likely to nurse for at least 6 months.

*Breastfed baby poo does not stain!

*Your milk's fat content changes throughout the day... in order to have the most filling milk at bedtime eat something high in calories/fat (ice cream) around 3pm.

Again, I know there is much more that we discussed but I'm done for tonight :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! You reiterated some of my favorite facts- using the fan, pacifiers=good, that breastfed poo does not stain (it's because it's 100% water-soluble), etc. Sounds like a great pediatrician!
    The only thing that didn't make sense for me is that he said most of the time if the father is circ'd, the baby is too. I say that ONLY because I know that when my husband was born {and I'm sure yours too}, almost all baby boys in the US were automatically circumcised {including my husband}, so that would just automatically mean that if so many baby boys are remaining intact these days... there must be a lot of fathers who were circumcised that are choosing not to have their sons circumcised.
    Now with that said this is TOTALLY a personal decision and to be honest, I don't think it really matters all that much. :) Whatever you want to do is fine by me, I'm not going to try to say one way is better than the other! It's not like anyone else would ever even know your decision anyways, unless they happen to be around when you're changing a diaper or something.
    It makes me sad that most of those breastfeeding tips don't/can't apply to me since I'm going to have such an atypical beginning to it all. I wish I had the option NOT to pump right away! Oh well.
    I'm so glad you like your new doc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait...she actually recommended ice cream before bed? Reason enough to breast feed in my book. All sounds great...so excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found a dr. that you like! That is so important!
    And thanks for posting all those little tidbits about breast feeding...I'm not taking a class (I can't find one in my area..?) so every little piece of info I hear will help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you like your pedi! It sounds like he's going to be a great fit. I love the info you posted about BF'ing, I'd read about some of it but other info was new to me!

    ReplyDelete