Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hospital bag

I'm sure I'll unpack and repack a few times before the big day but my goal was to have my bag packed by Decemeber 1st and I should have it ready in the next day or two.  I don't know how but I feel like I've overpacked yet forgotten so much all at the same time.  The good news is that we're only 15 minutes from the hospital and there is both a Walmart and Target within 5 minutes so it's no big deal if I do forget anything.  I have taken a lot of advice from friends and the list the childbirth class gave us. Also, The Subfertile Frugalista did a post "Hospital Packing: What I Learned" from her L&D experience with her gorgeous little baby and it was EXTREMELY helpful in me making my list.  All of you expecting mommies definitely should check it out since she's been there/done that!  So here it goes- please feel free to let me know if you think I've left ANYTHING out!

Momma's Clothes:
Robe
2 night gowns that button at top for easy nursing
2 pair PJ pants
2 T-Shirts
2 Nursing tank top/camis
3 Nursing bras (actually one one is a nursing bra, the other two are open front sports bras that I think will work. I didn't want to spend the money on more nursing bras until my milk comes in and I know what size I'll need.  Also, the tanks are actually supportive enough that I will be able to sleep in them)
4 pair cotton underwear (I may not need this many because I hear you just want to wear the mesh ones they give you but I have them just in case)
2 pair fuzzy warm socks
2 pair cotton socks
House shoes
Flip Flops
Coming home outfit (yoga pants and t-shirt/hoodie-glamorous, I know!)

Toiletries-
The normal things you'd pack plus
Chapstick- everyone says this is a big must- the heavy breathing and oxygen (if needed) will really dry you out!
Heavy Flow pads
Ponytail holders/head band

Breastfeeding-
Boppy Pillow
Nursing Pads
Gel Pads
Nursing cover
Nipple Cream (I have Nuk and Lansinoh brands)

Other-
List of Insurance/Work HR contact numbers
Pedi's info (they gave us a card that they will put in Truitt's bassinet saying he's Dr L's patient)
Back Scratcher!
Cell Phone Charger
Camera, extra batteries, and USB cord
Laptop and charger
Pens and notepad
Plug-In Desk Fan
Baby Book
Pillow for me and E
Snacks, Hard Candy and Gum
Pajamas for E (we decided it makes most sense for him to come home to shower, change and check on the dogs so all he needs is PJs!)
Car Seat
Heavy Blanket to throw over carseat
Truitt's Bag!!!

Of course a lot of that (most of the "other") will have to be grabbed when "it's time" but I have it listed out by the door so it can be quickly gathered.

2 comments:

  1. Good Morning Samantha. I looked at your list and think you might want to leave a few things out.They wont allow you to chew gum or suck on candy during labor so unless e will want some it will be wasted items. Dont bring the nipple cream, the hospital will provide you with some after delivery. If you pre-registered you will not need you insurance cards. Dont bring your nursing cover, They will provide you with xtra blankets and they can place a sign on the door when you are feeding, you want to avoid taking home hospital germs with extra items that the hospital can provide for the time being.The hospital will only provide one pair of panties after a vaginal delivery so i would bring a few more pairs.Dont bring pads, I loved the hospital pads over my always i packed from home.Make sure that you have your carseat base strapped into the car prior to coming in,now would be a great time to do that. Make sure that you and E both know how to adjust the straps on the seat and how it works. We have so many 2nd and 3rd time parents that dont have a clue how to work the seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine told me she totally overpacked and ended up only needing a few items in her bag. She said to take everything the hospital offers and keep the other stuff at home. You have so much to truck back home when you're done, flowers, gifts, balloons...oh the baby...haha.

    I was told to pack the basic items and then send DH or someone home to get anything I may find I need later on.

    P.S OMG only 5 more weeks...insane!

    ReplyDelete