Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A sleepy situation

***THIS IS GOING TO BE WHERE I START TO WHINE AND IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT, DON'T READ THIS POST***

Thank you for listening to me gripe. Please know that I wouldn't trade ANYTHING for this pregnancy and I would rather be sleep walking through my day than not getting to experience this. I'm sure being tired is better than morning sickness too! Any advice is welcomed!

I just want to be able to sleep through the night.  I have accepted this isn't going to happen until my baby is old enough to sleep through the night.  I have now gotten in a routine where I cannot sleep for more than 3 hours at a time; 3 hours is actually a blessing.  Last night for example- I went to bed at 9 and was up at 11, 1, 3:30 AND THEN EVERY HOUR until I gave up at 7 and got out of bed.  Sure if I told you I was in bed from 9-7 that sounds amazing until you see how often I was up. Not only is it the getting up often, it's the fact that I cannot fall back asleep easily.

Pretty much the only position is my left side and my hip literally feels bruised.  I sit on an ice pack on and off during the day to help it out.  IF I try my right side I can fall asleep but wake up with a horrible ache in my ovary.  I know the doctor said waking up on my back doesn't warrant a freak out but I'm really not supposed to make a habit of sleeping that way.  I think tonight I may try moving to the living room and sleeping in E's recliner to see if that helps any. 

It's not just one thing waking me up... It's heartburn, having to pee, being thirsty, and charlie horses.  I KNOW that when you get a charlie horse in your calf you're supposed to grab your toes and pull them to cause your muscle to stretch but this morning it would.not.work!  Finally after trying to stand it went away.

The other big problem is the being thirsty/having to pee.  My nose has been getting really stuffy in the evenings so I'm sure I'm sleeping with my mouth open because I wake up SO thirsty and my tounge is dry so I drink just a SIP and wake up an hour later after having a dream I peed myself or am about to(literally having those dreams nightly) and run to the bathroom.  Anyone ever used nose strips; do they help?  I was thinking about trying a humidifier too.

I think I'm also getting to the point where I'm going to ask Dr P about taking Tylenol PM or Benadryl at night.  I really hate to take meds but I am almost nonfunctional during the day because I'm so tired and what's going to happen when I get huge and uncomfortable and won't even be able to sleep as much as I am now? 

In happy news we went to E's cousin's first high school volleyball game yesterday and our little guy looooooves sports (or the people shouting and momma cheering) because he was moving ALL over the place! ALSO!!!! One of my best friends from high school is a Navy Photojournalist (as is his wife) and they're coming home this weekend for the first time since having their little boy two months ago and they want to take some early maternity pictures!  I cannot wait!!!!

6 comments:

  1. Hugs, Samantha! I've had a hard time sleeping, too. In fact, even though I *only* have three months left, I just ordered the Snoogle pregnancy pillow because my friends swear by it, and I think it'll help me stay on my side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina! I have the Boppy brand pregnancy pillow and it's great for naps BUT if I sleep in bed with it I wake up and my left arm is numb from how I lay with it! Haha, if it's not one thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found lately I wake up during the night too and have a harder time falling back asleep - but I manage to do it. I also have been waking up with a sore throat and a stuffed up nose. My nose has been stuffed up since I got my BFP - my doctor said it's just a part of my pregnancy.

    I'm dealing with the stuff as it comes, I'm trying to remain positive but I know how hard it is to get through the day when you're tired - no matter how excited you are about being pregnant. I am a cranky Be-och when I'm tired! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for the non-sleep situation. I have major sleep issues (for years!) and I used to take a prescription sleeping pill everynight. When I got pregnant I decided to quit those (that caused Major anxiety in itself!) but my OB told me to try taking a gravol before bed. It is safe during pregnancy and it totally knocks me out! Maybe give it a try? It's cheap too! And a humidifier will for sure help with the stuffies! i have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sympathize with you completely! My sleep has been terrible {and interrupted} lately, too. I say try anything and everything- and whatever works, works!
    I hope you enjoy those lemon bars! You'll have to let me know how tasty they are... I didn't realize you could get them in a box :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man, do I hear you on not being able to sleep. The crazy preggo insomnia makes me a little crazy sometimes. And all I want to do is lay on my stomach. I just know if I lay on my stomach I would fall asleep. But of course I can't. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete