Wednesday, July 7, 2010

To 3D or not...

Dr P does the big anatomy scan at 24 weeks.  Straight up- that's too long for me to wait to find out boy or girl for sure.  Those of you that wait until birth to find out are so much more patient than I could ever imagine!  Anyway, he offers a "sneek peek" at 18-20 weeks where you pay $100 out of pocket (since it isn't medically necessary) and go in for the ultrasound and he goes straight to the legs, says boy or girl and prints a picture and you're on your way.  Yesterday a lady posted this link for 3D/4D Ultrasound on the January babycenter message board.

For $75- It is a 15 minute long ultrasound, they determine gender, give you 4 pictures (2 black and white, 2 3D/4D), and you can get a video of the ultrasound or a CD of still pictures for $25 or $40 for both.

So basically a whole lot more bang for your buck.  They'll do it as early as 15 weeks but I think I'd still wait until close 18 weeks.  Actually I'd like to do it Thursday July 29th so I'd be 17wks 4days (we're going out of town the next week) to make sure we get a good chance of seeing it.  The only thing that's keeping me for signing up is I'm worried since they're not a doctor it will be wrong but especially with 3D I don't see how you could be wrong...

Input please!

5 comments:

  1. Hmm... Now you've got me thinking about it! I'm 15w1d and I really want to know what team I'm on. You could get the quick 15 min ultrasound, have them predict the gender, and then confirm once you have your 24 week scan. If you buy items just be sure to keep the tags on them and keep the receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOOOO many people here do that. There's a place called I C BABY and it sounds a lot like what you described with the 3D/4D ultrasound. You can even Skype people in to watch you get the ultrasound live!
    Do it! The pictures are amazing and it would be a nice keepsake. And yes, they're not doctors, but they are techs or even nurses who are fully certified and do this allll day long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally was googling this same thing this morning. And I don't even want to know the gender, I just want to use it as a way to see my bean before my 20 week u/s (and I can't believe your dr. waits til 24 weeks, that's so long to wait). I told hubby about and he just wants to make sure my dr's office is okay with it, but assuming they are I'm going to book it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so cool to have that 3D/4D picture - it gives you a real sneak peek into what your baby will look like.

    I am team green and while it would be cool to have a 3D done, I'm not too upset if we don't. Total surprise when the baby is born. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm only a week behind you in my pregnancy, and I'm DYING to find out the sex as well! Luckily my OB will do the anatomy scan anywhere between 18 & 22 weeks. I'm guessing that mine will be when I'm 19 weeks along, since I have my next appointment on the 12th and should have one a month later.
    I say DO IT! Unfortunately my husband will not be in the country for the anatomy scan, so we've already decided to do a 3D ultrasound once I join him in Korea. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete