Saturday, April 10, 2010

Did You Hear About The Morgans?

*****Spoiler Alert- Do NOT read if you do not want to know about the end of this movie*****

You've been warned. 

SUPER cute movie, SUPER cliche infertility ending.  In case you have no idea what it is about- Paul (Hugh Grant) and Meryl (Sarah Jessica Parker) Morgan are married but separated and witness a crime so they're sent off to Wyoming under federal witness protection.   Anyway a little while into the movie they start arguing and mention about how infertility is part of what caused their marriage to fall apart and she mentioned the horomones, injections, and scheduled sex.  I busted out laughing and swore to E that I had NO idea that they talked about IF in the movie (seriously, I didn't know!).  So Meryl tells Paul that since the separation she has been working with an adoption agency for placement so she can finally be a mom.  During the movie they get back together so at the end when the scene faded away I told E that the next scene would be them back at home in the bathroom with a positive pee stick but I was nicely surprised when instead it said "six months later" and an airplane is landing and they're coming off the escalator with an adorable Asian baby girl!  I was so excited until the camera pans out and Meryl is sporting a damn 6 month baby bump. UGH!!!! NO WONDER EVERYONE TELLS US TO JUST RELAX AND IT WILL HAPPEN.  That's how it is in all of the movies so tha't has to be how it really works too.

Other than that it was a good movie!  It's time for bed but I just HAD to blog about this!

7 comments:

  1. It really is such a stereotype. We know better though. I wish it really were as easy as "just relax".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I get so sick of the typical "and then of course after all their struggles she gets pregnant" endings. It's adorable and makes (anyone who hasn't gone through IF) feel warm and fuzzy inside, but it makes me feel like even more of a failure that apparently my struggles aren't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so want to watch it now! I like media that discusses the difficutlties of IF. (like Couples Retreat and the TV show Rules of Engagement) It makes me feel less of a freak! :O)

    But I know what your saying about the just relax bs! It annoys me terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, relax! Now, why didn't WE think of that? ;-)

    Seems like they sneak babies and IF in on us when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a good movie and I thought the same thing was going to happen. Then when they showed the baby bump I said to my husband....yeah right. It is no surprise that so many people think once you adopt you WILL get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. UGH. That is annoying. It would have been such a nice ending without the bump! You're right -- that's why all of our aunts, cousins, friends, in-law's, neighbors, etc. etc. believe Infertility Myth #264: If you adopt, you'll magically become pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was totally thrown for a loop by the IF storyline too! And I was definitely annoyed by the cliche pregnant+adoption ending. That is not how life works, people! You don't get pregnant by adopting, or else everyone would do it.

    ReplyDelete