Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Miscommunication

First of all my phone has been all messed up today. I could make outgoing calls but I couldn't get incoming calls. I kept getting voicemails all day long though. It SEEMS to be working right now though, knock on wood!


Ok, so after lunch I still hadn't heard anything so I called Dr P's office and spoke with the receptionist. She told me that she thought that the nurse had called in the prescription yesterday (thanks for telling me it was ready!?!) and that I should call the pharmacy and see if they had gotten it. I then called the pharmacy and they told me that yes, they have a prescription for me for cl.omid but not the pr.overa! Well I can't start the 'mid until I'm in my cycle and obviously can't do that until I take the pr.overa! Anyway, I call the Dr's office back and this time got the voicemail so I told them that I needed the script for the pr.overa as well. Receptionist called back (but my phone didn't ring so she left a voicemail) and said that she misunderstood me and thought I was already taking the pr.overa so to call back and ask to speak to the nurse.

Conversation:
Me: Dr P diagnosed me with PCOS in January, started me on pr.overa and told me that if I didn't start again on my own to call back to get it again and cl.omid
Nurse: Ok, well call the pharmacy back and request a refill on your old prescription and they will call us and we will refill it.
Me: Ok, so when do I take the cl.omid
Nurse: All of Dr P's patients take it on CD5-10 (have any of yall taken it on those days?!)
Me: And then when do I come back in to see him?
Nurse: You come for your normal ultrasound on CD12
Me: Normal?! This is my first cycle
Nurse: Oh, well then just call if you don't start your period again or if you get a positive home pregnancy test...

She is a REALLY sweet lady but she sounded really frazzled and they're in the process of moving so I don't know how much attention she was giving to me. Plus, shouldn't she be looking at my chart and see that this is my first cycle?! I really feel like I should be going in for the ultrasound on CD12 if that's what is "normal" for the cycle. I think I am going to call in on CD1 and just tell them I'm confused on if I'm supposed to come in or not and go from there. The great news is that my cl.omid is at the pharmacy waiting on me and the pr.overa will be there tonight or tomorrow. I know I always get ahead of myself but if I start the pills tonight (last cycle I took them in the morning but I've heard it doesn't matter what time you take them) then CD1 should be around 3/14 and IF THIS IS THE CYCLE I'D BE DUE AROUND 12/20/10!!! Hey, positive thoughts can't hurt!


-----UPDATE-----
I got to the pharmacy and they didn't have my pr.overa ready so I'll go get it tomorrow and start then so we're tooking for CD1 around March 15th!  Also I had this piece of paper in the bag saying that my perscription insurance does NOT cover fertility meds.  Why dose it pay for pr.overa then?!?!  My MEDICAL insurance does cover fertility TREATMENTS as far as I've been told but evidently the meds will be out of pocket... Oh well, it will be worth it in the end! (oh and my 5 days of the 'mid was only 9 something so it's really no biggie- that response might change if/when we have to do shots!)

3 comments:

  1. My regular gyno's office left me confused like this many times. This is small time stuff for them but don't they get that this is big time stuff in OUR lives? Keep calling back until you are sure of what to do. If there is another nurse there try to call when they're available. It's a grind but you have to be clear. I took femara on days 5 through 9. You're now on my reader so I'll be keeping up with you. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got your medicine! And $9 and something is great! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that things are going forward. I've read somewhere that Clomid is taken towards the middle or end of AF so what you've been told sounds about right.

    I'd say the reason the Provera isn't a problem is because it has several other gynaecological uses from endometrial cancer to precocious puberty whereas clomid is only really used to stimulate ovulation for the purpose of fertility.

    ReplyDelete